“Love is not patronizing and charity isn't about pity, it is about love. Charity and love are the same -- with charity you give love, so don't just give money but reach out your hand instead.”
The Coalition works to raise awareness about the problem of asset poverty and develop ways to address this problem. Activities include:
- Developing a set of Standards of Excellence for Financial Literacy.
- Implementing a place-based project to reduce asset poverty
- Helping implement a flexible client tracking software that will make it possible for many agencies to collectively manage client and results data and monitor results in reducing asset poverty across the community.
- Partnering with HUD’s Greensboro Field Office to facilitate the greater uptake of technical assistance from federal government agencies in Forsyth County.
- Serving as a Lead Local Organization of the national Assets & Opportunity Network hosted by the Center for Enterprise Development (CFED)
- Working to bring Bank On programs to Forsyth County.
The Coalition works to raise awareness about the problem of asset poverty and develop ways to address this problem.
The Enclave (Pilot Program)
This initiative at The Enclave Apartments at Shattalon is ABC’s first hands-on work with local residents. This initiative is a high-touch hands-on approach in a single, working family neighborhood where we can help people reach and keep assets and improve financial stability. Examples of services offered; improve their debt, credit and savings behaviors.
The goal is not service delivery, but to demonstrate an effective place-based approach for building assets. If a meaningful percentage of Enclaves residents increase financial literacy and improve their debt, credit and savings situation, this will provide a model for others. A number of the member agencies are teaming up to work with Enclaves residents.
Winston Salem ABC Saves
Winston Salem/Forsyth County Asset Building Coalition is the second local campaign in North Carolina for America Saves. America Saves is a campaign managed by the nonprofit Consumer Federation of America, motivates, encourages, and supports low- to moderate-income households to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth.
The research-based campaign uses the principles of behavioral economics and social marketing to change behavior. Non‐profit, government, and corporate groups participate in America Saves nationally and through local, regional, and statewide campaigns around the country. America Saves encourages individuals to take the America Saves pledge and organizations to promote savings year-round and during America Saves Week.
All across Winston-Salem/Forsyth County, people are proving that anyone can start small, and think big. Winston-Salem ABC Savers are setting financial goals, tracking their spending and taking control of their financial future. Staff and trained volunteers can show you how to develop a savings strategy and take one step at a time.
Anyone 14 or older can take the savings pledge at:
With the help of our member partners, we're able to offer the following services to the communities we serve:
- Affordable banking products
- Credit rebuilding assistance
- Debt counseling
- Financial education and coaching
- Job readiness
- Preparation for home ownership
- Savings-matching programs
- Tax Prep (VITA) and IDA program